Developer News and Resources
- IBM Developerworks XML portal
- OASIS (Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards), which includes such member standards as AMQP, IDTrust, LegalXML, Data Center Markup Language (DCML), and e-gov solutions.
Standards and Vocabularies
Among its multiple uses, XML is also a metalanguage - a syntactic basis for defining further languages. Those languages are the applications themselves, and not to be confused with software applications containing code. Here are a few examples of essential XML vocabularies:
- Darwin Information Typing Language (DITA) for technical documentation built by IBM
- Text Encoding Initiative for machine-readable texts in the humanities, social sciences and linguistics
- DocBook, a publishing language developed by O'Reilly
- Math Markup Language (MathML) for expressing mathematical and scientific content
- Resource Description Framework for describing collections of formalized statements about a Web resource
- XSL Formatting Objects (XSL-FO) A great introductory article for XSL-FO can be found here
- JATS (Journal Article Tag Suite) is an application of NISO Z39.96-2015, which defines a set of XML elements and attributes for tagging journal articles and describes three article models.
.NET XML Libraries and Projects
- dotnet-transform-xdt is a .NET tool for applying XML Document Transformation to XML documents. Its most common application is to .NET configuration files, but can be applied anywhere.
- RestSharp lets you quickly build HTTP and REST clients.
- AngleSharp is a W3C compliant parser for HTML, CSS and scripting integration.
- WiX Toolset for building MSI installers for the Windows installation engine.
- EDI Tools for parsing EDI into XML
- ServiceStack is a fully featured framework for APIs, microservices and web apps for .NET
- XML-RPC is a library for implementing XML-RPC services and clients in .NET
- XMLUnit for unit testing your XML
- FsPickler - a fast, multi-format messaging serializer for .NET
- Open XML SDK
- XML in Visual Basic
- XML Documents and Data from the .NET documentation
Tools and Editors
- XML Notepad is a classic XML editor and content viewer.
- Greg's XML Editor is similar to XML Notepad.
- Open Live Writer is an open source blog editor that uses XML and XML-RPC for communicating with the publishing platform of your choice - or the one you're building...
- TinyMCE is a fully-featured, customizable editor you can embed in your web application and generate all kinds of formats with.
- CodeMirror is an embeddable text editor that includes key bindings for Vim, Emacs and Sublime Text, and is used in the dev tools for Firefox, Chrome, and Safari, among others.
- CKEditor is commercial, feature-rich, embeddable editor you can use in your application, with support for article, document and inline editing.
- Oxygen XML Editor for a suite of xml editing tools.
- Altova has developer, XML, and XBRL tools for XML developers
- FontoXML is a web-based XML editor for authors with no knowledge of XML. They provide a free DITA XML editor that lets users save files in a OneDrive or Google Drive storage account. Their platform includes schema modules for DITA, TEI, XHTML, JATS and S1000D, but will support any XSD provided.
If you want to add a useful XML tool, component, or standard, contact us and let us know what we're missing!